It’s been less than three weeks, but already several things have become apparent while traveling Madagascar. Although some of these can be flexible to other continents and countries, I especially feel they are true for the parts of Madagascar I’ve visited. Below are 10 signs that let you know you might just be traveling throughout Madagascar.
1. Regardless of incredibly low personal standards, you can’t wear any of your clothes another day without being washed. It’s been three weeks with the heat and dust and deodorant isn’t cutting it anymore.
2. You can barely keep your eyes open past 8 p.m. because the hot, early days are so draining. But sometimes you go drinking anyway.
3. You haven’t seen internet in days.
4. Your hostel has certain hours for power and you take advantage of it, religiously recharging every battery you own.
5. Your room only has one electric outlet. And your adapter may or may not fit it.
6. You’re lucky if you can finish a shower without the water running out. Or you just shower from the bucket.
7. Regardless of if it’s from a bucket or a showerhead, showering is an amazing thing that makes you feel like a person again. Even the cold showers.
8. Your plate of fresh seafood with all the fixings was less than ten dollars.
9. When a smile or wave from the locals makes you feel all warm inside.
10. You realize how lucky and blessed you are for the comfortable life you live back at home.